The Federal Highway Administration has narrowed its choice of potential routes for I-3 to two. On the map below, Corridor A, shown in deep blue, and Corridor B at the southern end, shown in deep purple, are the remaining routes under consideration.
Below the map are text descriptions of these corridors.
- From Savannah, west on I-16
- North on US 25/301 through Statesboro, to Millen and Waynesboro
- North of Waynesboro, west and north on new alignment to I-20 west of Fort Gordon, near Thomson
- Northwest on US 78 Corridor to Athens
- New alignment around Athens
- North on US 441 corridor to north of Commerce
- West on new alignment to Dahlonega
- West on Georgia 52 corridor along the southern boundary of the Chattahoochee National Forest to Ellijay
- West and north on US 76 corridor to Chatsworth
- North on US 411 along the eastern side of the Chattahoochee National Forest, into Tennessee, and to the intersection with US 64
- North on new alignment from US 64 to I-75 near Etowah
- Northeast on I-75 into Knoxville
- From Savannah, northwest along Georgia 21/Savannah River Parkway to Millen, joining Corridor A there